GRADUATE SCHOOL (MBA, MAT, MMIS, MHCL)
Students may transfer, with departmental approval, up to 6 hours of graduate credit under the following conditions:
- The institution of origin is accredited by its appropriate accrediting association to offer graduate-level instruction.
- The credit is fully acceptable to the institution of origin in satisfaction of its advanced degree requirements.
- The credit is applicable to the student’s program of study at Friends University.
- The official transcript of the credit to be transferred is on file in the Registrar’s Office at Friends University.
- Written approval of the credit to be transferred has been filed by the student’s program with the Registrar’s Office.
- The credit to be transferred carries a minimum grade of B.
- The credit to be transferred was taken in courses completed within six years of the semester in which the degree work was begun.
- The Program Director’s signature must be on the completed form, and the form must be received by the Registrar’s Office before the start of the graduate student’s program.
Graduate credit work at another college or university shall not be entered on a Friends University transcript except in degree programs and only then after completion of all work for the degree.
COLLEGE OF ADULT & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES (OML, Business Management)
Students from other accredited institutions may be admitted to advanced standing upon the presentation of official transcripts. A transcript is considered official when mailed direct to Friends from the previous institution. An official transcript from each college previously attended is required in order to be considered for admissions. Friends University normally accepts course credit from all accredited colleges and universities. (Exception: In keeping with our Quaker heritage, Friends University does not accept ROTC military credits.) Care should be taken not to duplicate work completed at the previous institution.
Courses within the major will not be waived and must be taken at Friends University. Should an incoming transfer student have a previously completed course with the same or similar course title, the course may be accepted as an elective, and the student will be required to complete the major course in residence.
Students may not transfer in duplicate coursework taken after the start of his/her major coursework.
Credit is transferred with the grade earned in the course at the institution where the course was taken. All grades are calculated for a transfer GPA, including courses that might have been deleted from consideration by an “academic fresh start” at the transferring institution. Students should be aware that credits may be transcripted but not counted toward major or graduation requirements. “D” grades in major courses and certain other courses are not accepted toward graduation.
The Degree Completion programs require 46 credit hours from a four-year college (including the 30-hour residency requirement). All students may use experiential learning credits (portfolio) to count as four-year college credits but not as residency credits.
Our guidelines for translating proprietary school credit to Friends University credits are:
- The student must take proficiency examinations over the proprietary school courses for which they are seeking Friends University credit. The examinations can be given the first semester the student enrolls at Friends. (Refer to the credit by examination section for procedure and cost.) The Friends University faculty will make the final decision on grades and total hours.
- The student must successfully complete 15 hours of credit at Friends University before these translated credits will be added to the student’s official transcript.
- Students submitting transcripts from previously non-regionally accredited institutions will have coursework transcripted in accordance with current transfer coursework policies in place at the University at the time of the student’s entry. All courses and credit hours will be evaluated for appropriate course equivalency or elective credit at Friends University.
For courses with transcripted clock hours only, Friends will request the granting institution to calculate a conversion. If no conversion is submitted, Friends will employ the following conversion calculation: 40 clock hours equal to 1 credit hour. If a grade scale is not provided, letter grades will not be transcripted; the University will transcript a grade of CR for credit.
Clinical clock hours will be transcripted following the same conversion calculation of 40 clock hours to 1 credit hour. Current policy and limits on clinical training, practicum, internship and cooperative education credit hour transfers will remain in effect.
Students with an Associate Degree must provide college transcripts from an accredited college with minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. Applicants who do not meet full admission criteria may appeal to be admitted. Additional admissions criteria required for entry into major field of study.